Tuesday, June 22, 2010

So here we go.....

I can't even begin to tell you how long I've waited for this moment....writing a blog, no....bringing people past the parsonage and into what life is REALLY like as a PK (Pastor's Kid, for those that are new), YES! I'm (proudly) 28 yrs old and am finally at the point where I feel I can weed through all of my thoughts and feelings about what life was like as a PK and give an honest look into the struggles....the highs....the lows....the mountain times and valley seasons.....that EVERY PK walks through....hopefully, by sharing my stories (and I've got TONS)...people, not only PKs, will see things a little differently....not everything is as it seems....and in the words of that MTV show, Diary...."you think you know, but you have no idea".....

So this is where it all started.....1996.....we're on our way back from an awesome youth camp....we were dirty, hungry and exhausted....but we were happy....there's always a bond when you go on trips with people....it's weird...even the dumbest memories of that guy that farted in the back of the church bus live forever! We were a little more than halfway home and the "older youth" started talking about church finances. Now....I've gotta tell you, PKs get a bad rap....but it's really the DKs that start the mess (JK, Deacon's Kids....sorta). Why these high school kids were talking about the church finances is BEYOND me....my opinion: if you have either of the following things, you shouldn't be SERIOUSLY talking about money...1) A velcro wallet 2) A chain that connects that wallet to your JNCO jeans....anyways...the financial conversation began to die out and we started talking about our plans for the rest of the summer....to which I responded by saying...."we're going to Miami before school starts, I'm so excited".... didn't think it was a big deal, we go every year....well, the next statement that came out of someone's mouth changed my life FOREVER and has stuck with me since that Friday...."oh, now I see where all our tithe is going"....I was shocked....and silent for the rest of the ride home....MILLIONS of thoughts flooded my mind....I'm thinking, you're a teenager dummy....if we depended on your tithe, we'd be spending lunch in Belton! And do you NOT remember that my mom works 50+ hours a week too? Do you honestly think that your pastor "takes your tithe" and frivolously spends it however he wants!?!?! Life changing moment....that's not just your pastor.....um....that's my daddy you're talking about.....

2 comments:

  1. This blog is a great idea. I've got lots of stories I can tell myself. I totally related to your first post. Different setting and players but the feelings - wow - the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading the blog and so thankful you turned out okay! SO proud of you!

    Mom (former PW - Pastor's wife)

    ReplyDelete